National Youth Poet Laureate Amanda Gorman’s poem “The Hill We Climb,” written for the 2021 inauguration, presents a great opportunity for educators and students to discuss the ways creative expression can help us think about the meaning of democracy. Check out these great lessons below, to get inspired.
- The Hill We Climb and the 2021 Inauguration, Learning for Justice (formerly Teaching Tolerance)
- Reflecting on Amanda Gorman’s ‘The Hill We Climb’, Facing History and Ourselves
- Amanda Gorman and ‘The Hill We Climb’, NY Times Learning Network.
- Teach This Poem: “In This Place (An American Lyric)” by Amanda Gorman, Poets.org
- Teaching Inauguration Poetry, Pernille Ripp
- Discuss 22-year-old Amanda Gorman’s inaugural poem “The Hill We Climb”, PBS Newshour
- Teaching with Amanda Gorman’s “The Hill We Climb”, Library of Congress
- See also video recordings of Gorman’s recitation