The coronavirus pandemic has led every US state to close schools and turn to online learning. In response, many education technology companies have stepped forward to help educators reach students in virtual ways.
Here are several free or discounted online learning resources that pre-K-12 students and educators can use to keep up the learning from home.
- Scholastic: Daily lesson for pre-k-6
- Khan Academy: Online platform with daily schedules for students in pre-K through grade 12 to follow from home
- Outschool: free live online classes for students ages 3 to 18 affected by public school shutdowns, conducted over video chat
- Varsity Tutors: free program called Virtual School Day with live classes for K-12 students
- Calvert Homeschool three months of free homeschool curriculum for grades 3-12
- Peanuts Worldwide: free K-8 educational materials on STEM, languages, arts and social studies
- Comcast Xfinity Education: Customers receive free hours and titles to educational programming for K-12
- New York City Department of Education: free 10-day curriculum for multiple subjects for pre-K-12
Early learning activities, videos, and games
- PBS Kids: free newsletter, video and gaming apps
- MarcoPolo Learning: a digital learning platform with a Steam-based curriculum for ages 3 to 7.
- ABCmouse: free home access for students to ReadingIQ and Adventure Academy, ABCmouse.com
- Audible: free streaming audiobooks for kids
- Storyline Online: streams videos featuring award-winning actors reading children’s books with illustrations
- Time for Kids: free digital library of the Time for Kids magazine for K-6 students
- Epic: a digital library for kids age 12 and under of over 40,000 books, audiobooks, and videos
- Rivet: Rivet is a free, AI-based kids’ reading app designed for developing readers ages 5 to 10
- Marvel Hero Tales: storytelling game app designed to help develop language and reading skills for kids age 7 to 11
- Wonderscope: free reading app for students age 6 and up to learn from home
- Achieve3000: free, differentiated online learning resources for educators and students in grades PreK-12
- The Moth: free videos with a story and a teaching guide
- Prodigy Math: free online math platform that reinforces math skills through video game-style play.
- Beast Academy Online: interactive, web-based math program for students ages 8 to 13
- Mystery Science: free science lessons for grade K-5
- Minecraft Education: Explore the International Space Station, learn to code, visit famous landmarks, or learn about marine biology.
- CodeSpark Academy three months of this K-5 platform to help kids learn to code
- Duolingo free language learning app that helps kids (and adults) learn a language through short, game-like exercises.
- Babbel free language app for K-12 and college students through mid-June
- Rosetta Stone: three months of free language learning to K12 students.
- Lingvist: free use of all its language-learning tools until July 31
- Busuu: free live language lessons to students age 5 to 14
- Droplets: free use of their language learning platform for students age 8 to 17
- Fiveable: free social learning platform for high school students and teachers focused on Advanced Placement test preparation
- Daily Drawing Class: with Author and illustrator Jarrett J. Krosoczka
- Daily Cartoon Class: with animator Mo Willems.
- The Art Sherpa: painting tutorials on YouTube
- DIY.org: courses and projects with how-to videos for ages 4-13-plus. Discount code TOGETHER.
Virtual field trips
Google Arts and Culture: Travel to art museums around the world