ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Rethinking Schools is a nonprofit publisher and advocacy organization that for 36 years has been dedicated to sustaining and strengthening public education through social justice teaching and education activism. Our magazine, books, and other resources promote equity and racial, gender, environmental, and sexual justice in the classroom and society. We encourage grassroots efforts in our schools and communities to enhance the learning and well-being of our children, and to build broad democratic movements for social and environmental justice.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Reporting to the Board of Directors, and in collaboration with the staff and editors, the Executive Director will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for Rethinking Schools’ staff, programs, resource generation, and pursuit of its mission.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Organizational Leadership and Management:
- Ensure ongoing mission-centric excellence in programs and operations.
- Lead stakeholder engaged, democratic strategic planning and direction. Streamline and clarify decision-making and management of the organization.
- Lead implementation of organizational priorities, and evaluate work against established goals.
- Supervise staff in a manner consistent with Rethinking Schools’ values of democracy, collaboration, and learning from each other.
- Support collective bargaining with Rethinking Schools’ staff who are represented by Communications Workers of America (CWA) Local 4603.
- Work closely with the Rethinking Schools editorial staff and board to develop strategic plans around Rethinking Schools’ educational resources, books, and magazine.
- Support Rethinking Schools’ relationships with key supporters and partners. Communicate and move forward Rethinking Schools’ mission and vision with the education justice movement at large.
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors, with an emphasis on developing capacity in governance, strategic analysis, program planning, and budgeting consistent with organizational bylaws.
- Work with the staff, board, and editors to expand existing and develop new engagement tools with classroom teachers and the wider Rethinking Schools community.
- Represent Rethinking Schools to the broader public as needed.
Fundraising, business development, and financial management:
- In coordination with the Director of Operations and Board of Directors, develop and steward RS’s budget and a strategic business plan.
- Alongside the board, staff, and editors, develop, oversee, and execute fundraising strategies from individual donors and foundations.
- Hold or oversee key relationships with largest donors and foundations.
- Expand the financial viability of RS’s operational units through sound fiscal management.
Position open until filled.
For candidate profile and more information about this position, please visit this page.