A Shelter in Our Car
Since moving to America from Jamaica after her father died, Zettie and her mom live in their car while they both go to school and plan for a real home.
- Author: Monica Gunning
- Source: Booksellers
- Grade Level: Elementary school
- Subject area: Social studies
High Rise Stories: Voices from Chicago Public Housing
Former residents of Chicago’s iconic public housing projects describe life in the now-demolished high rises. These oral histories of community, displacement, and poverty in the wake of gentrification give voice to those who have long been ignored, but whose hopes and struggles exist firmly at the heart of our national identity. Free lesson plans for High Rise Stories available.
- Author: Audrey Petty (editor)
- Publisher: Voice of Witness/McSweeney’s
- Grade Level: middle school – college/adult
- Subject Area: social studies
A Right to Housing: Foundation for a New Social Agenda
Anthology of essays by leading activists and scholars. Presents a powerful and compelling analysis of the persistent inability of the USA to meet many of its citizens’ housing needs, and a comprehensive proposal for progressive change.
- Editors: Rachel Bratt, Michael Stone, Chester Hartman
- Source: Temple University Press
- Grade Level: high school – adult
- Subject area: Social studies, current events